SPECIAL EDUCATION NEEDS
Every student is unique, with different strengths and challenges. We offer a range of environments to support all students in their learning and to help nurture their emotional, mental and physical well-being. If your child has a special education need, you have an important role in:
Our approach to inclusive education is about bringing together diverse supports for both individual students and entire classrooms. We’re focused on helping every child, regardless of their background, needs or abilities, experience success. It’s not only about making students feel physically included, but also emotionally connected to all aspects of the school experience.
Opportunity programming supports students with mild cognitive disabilities and significant academic delays gain skills for future independent living and employment.
- Improve academic and independent living skills
- Develop employment skills for students in junior or senior high
- Application of strategies for studying, remembering and organizing information
- Improved work and study skills
- Positive and supportive learning environment
- Emphasis on literacy and math instruction in elementary grades
- Slower pace of instruction
- Flexible instruction based on students' needs and abilities
- Visual aids, specific examples and hands-on activities
- Smaller classes for more targeted instruction
Students must be 5 ½ to 20 years old with a clinical diagnosis of mild cognitive disability. Contact your child’s school for information about eligibility and special education programming options.
All Edmonton Public Schools programming is based on curriculum determined by Alberta Education. Students enrolled in the Opportunity program will receive the same high-quality education offered in all of our programs.
Most schools offering special education needs programming have some yellow busing options available. For more information about busing, contact the school.